Fraud in Colorado
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) published its annual report on consumer complaints. The 2017 report provides some interesting perspectives on fraud in Colorado. Here are some highlights from the report:
- Identity theft and imposter scams tied for the highest proportion of reported scams in Colorado at 16% of complaints each statewide.
- Complaints about debt collectors was a close second at 15% of complaints.
- Total number of Colorado complaints made to the FTC is 31,833.
- Colorado is ranked number 13 out of 50 states in number of identity theft complaints.
- Most identity theft complaints are about credit card fraud.
- Colorado is ranked number 19 out of 50 states in number of fraud complaints.
- Colorado Springs and the Denver area had the highest number of fraud reports per capita.
- Grand Junction and Greeley had the lowest number of fraud reports per capita.