Fraud in Wyoming
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) published its annual report on consumer complaints. The 2017 report provides some interesting perspectives on fraud in Wyoming. Here are some highlights from the report:
- Identity theft and imposter scams had the highest proportion of reported scams in Wyoming at a total of 34% of complaints statewide.
- Complaints about prize and lottery scams came in next at 12% of complaints.
- Total number of Wyoming complaints made to the FTC is 2,396.
- Wyoming is ranked number 39 out of 50 states in number of identity theft complaints.
- Most identity theft complaints are about credit card fraud. Second is telephone or utility fraud.
- Wyoming is ranked number 43 out of 50 states in number of fraud complaints.
- Southeast Wyoming had the highest number of fraud reports per capita, with the Casper area coming in second.